When it comes to content management system (CMS) choices, you may be overwhelmed. This is because the market has exploded and there are now more options than ever before! Sifting through all these systems can seem daunting; luckily we’ve done our research for you so that your search will not take long at all (or leave room in this tight scheduling!)
The following list includes only those CMSs considered “Highly Rated” and “Most Popular” among all the CMS platforms in 2021.
What is a CMS Platform?
A lot of people find developer-friendly CMS easier than going for coding from scratch so it really depends on what kind of experience one would like in regards to building websites – do you want someone who knows everything about coding or you are more focused on the end results, be it achieved through CMS or scratch coded.
How to choose the best CMS platform?
Choosing the best content management system (CMS) platform for your business can be a daunting task. There are many platforms to choose from, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. The first thing that you need to take into account when considering different CMS platforms is what kind of website your company needs? Do you want one that focuses more on content management, or do you want one that has features like e-commerce, event planning tools, etc.? Once you have determined the type of site or app your company needs it will be easier to narrow down which platform might serve its purpose best.
Do consider the following factors before going on to choose the CMS platform:
- Ease of using : A great content management system (CMS) should have an easy drag and drop interface and editing capabilities should be easy.
- Availability of Templates : It should have plenty of different template options available in order not get bored quickly while using it every day or week on projects that require updating regularly like blogs and news sites.
- Data Portability : You’ll also want data portability tools so you can easily move your information from another platform if needed.
- Extension and Addons : It is impossible for any CMS platform to come with all your requirements fulfilled, which is where extensions come into play!
- The Cost of the CMS service: CMS platforms vary in price and some are completely free. Before choosing an option, do plenty of research into what those costs may be so there aren’t any nasty surprises later down the road with pricing plans.
With these considerations in mind, let’s look at the 9 best CMS platforms to choose from.
WordPress is the most widely used and one of the best content management systems on this list. It’s no surprise that WP has become standard for any website, with unlimited functionality and an easy-to-use interface; making WordPress perfect for beginners as well professionals alike! Not only does it come with thousands of themes & plugins but also lots of helpful features like customizing your blog layout or creating pages where anyone in the world can leave comments without first having their email address associated. If you’re looking into building a new site then there really isn’t anything else out there better than using something built by experts who know exactly what they are doing.
- WordPress gives you the flexibility and freedom to create any type of website.
- There are thousands of paid and free WordPress themes and plugins available.
- SEO-friendly URLs, categories, and tags for your posts are simple to create.
- It does not necessitate any technical or coding expertise to create beautiful pages for your website.
- Having complete control entails learning a lot of new things.
- Being an open-source platform, WordPress is more vulnerable to potential hackers.
Wix is a great and another best content management system platform that allows you to easily create websites for your business. It has over 500 pre-built templates, all with intuitive design tools and simple drag-and-drop functionality! The best part? You can make sites in minutes without any coding skills needed.
Wix provides its users an easy interface that helps them build their own personal or professional page within seconds by dragging elements onto the page as desired; everything from images & videos right down to buttons is available on every template so no matter what niche you’re aiming at there should be something suited just right.
- It’s simple to design pages.
- Plethora of pre-made templates.
- Plenty of apps to give your site new features.
- Once you’ve selected a template on Wix, you can’t change it.
- Not easy to download and export your data.
Squarespace is a drag-and-drop website builder that doesn’t require installation on your hosting server since it’s not open source. Similar to Wix, Squarespace has hosting features built into the platform with SSL certificates and support included in the hosting fees as well!
Squarespace’s clean, modern templates are a perfect way to reflect your unique style. With so much white space included in the design of each template and a simple yet elegant aesthetic shining through brightly from every page you’ll find on Squarespace there is no shortage of creativity or uniqueness here!
- Beginner friendly CMS platform.
- Custom domain and hosting is included.
- Loads of themes and options.
- You can use only the platform’s features.
- A few integrations are available.
Joomla is another popular open-source content management system (CMS) platform that is also free and has a plethora of template options and extensions. Joomla, like WordPress, has been around for a while. It provides a plethora of 1-click web hosting installations. However, it is best suited for experienced web designers and developers; if you are inexperienced or new to CMSs, you should look elsewhere.
Joomla websites are also mobile-friendly, flexible, and extensible, and they support multi-user permission levels.
- Good choice for building something bespoke.
- It’s simple to make changes to your content.
- Joomla provides you with a lot of flexibility and options.
- A bit complex, not user-friendly for newcomers.
- There aren’t that many options for additional extensions.
Shopify is the industry leader in e-commerce. Shopify offers SaaS (software as a service) where you pay them to manage your store’s technical details such as hosting, security, and other functions that are necessary for operating an online storefront like payment collection & shipping management among others which they’ve built into their platform including features like discounts/coupons management alongside multiple plugins allowing users customization options when building out stores.
The best part is that Shopify is focused on e-commerce stores only. So, if you want to build e-commerce, you know which platform to opt for.
- There are numerous extensions and themes available.
- It has a simple drag-and-drop interface.
- Shopify offers live chat, email, and phone support 24 x7.
- There is a fixed monthly fee and the third party apps are costly too.
- Limited functionality and options in comparison to WordPress’s plugins.
Weebly has been there for over a decade. They offer a free limited version of their service, which includes some basic features and the ability to build an online store with it as well! The paid plans start with a basic subscription while more expansive eCommerce solutions can be bought outright or through monthly subscriptions that charge on usage.
Weebly also offers an integrated solution that has all aspects into one package including hosting services, website builders (including drag & drop), marketing tools like email capture forms, and easy conversion tracking reports about how visitors interact with each part during use.
- Wide range of plans are available.
- Easy to use – Drag and drop website building.
- Easy to add media to your site.
- There is a monthly fee to avail this platform.
- The default customizing options are limited, but custom code can be added.
Drupal is a popular Content Management System that offers solutions for all major industries, and users can efficiently and seamlessly build a custom website using its intuitive interface. Drupal’s free open-source software will require the purchase only of hosting space on your own server – there are no other costs in addition to this! You also have access to themes that allow you greater customization options when building out features or functionalities within your site; they’re perfect if what you want from these websites isn’t straightforwardness but rather complexity instead (i.e., large databases).
- Good for customized websites with the capability to hold large data.
- Easy to add content and availability of a variety of modules to your site.
- Advanced admin panel helps in user and permission management in a great way.
- For beginners, it is difficult to figure out how to change the look of your site or add functionalities.
As a fully-hosted e-commerce platform, BigCommerce can also be called an all-in-one solution for those that don’t have much experience. You will not need to worry about hosting your site since they handle it! Plus with their backup service and security features you are sure to have everything taken care of under one roof without worrying too much about where things go when they’re down.
- Provides an easy user interface for adding products.
- Customer service is extremely responsive.
- It has a large capacity and can hold a lots of products.
- The website template is difficult to modify.
- There are few themes and integrations available.
Magento is the king of e-commerce for large online retailers. It is the perfect solution for any business that needs to develop its own website. It is available in two versions: a free self-hosted community version and a plethora of premium services. The intuitive admin interface will make managing your site easy, while multisite support means you have full control over how it looks & functions at different locations within one network. Whether small or large scale – Magento’s top-notch speed, security features (including SSL Certificates), scalability benefits make this software attractive not just among entrepreneurs but also larger companies looking beyond WordPress because they need something tailored specifically for them.
- Magento allows you to manage a large number of products and customers.
- Magento is highly customizable, and there are numerous third-party extensions available.
- Magento supports a variety of payment gateways & also has many built-in payment options.
- Finding good developers for Magento projects can be difficult & hiring costly.
- Free version does not have good customer support.
Choosing the right CMS platform for your business might be difficult but will only help you in the long run. If you’re looking for the best e-commerce website builder and content management system then WordPress is a good option as it has been around since 2003 with over 455+ million websites already up on its platform which shows how trustworthy this CMS really is!
We are happy to say that if anyone needs any assistance navigating through all these choices, feel free to speak directly with us by calling Pixel Street – we will do everything possible so you don’t have any trouble when making a decision about choosing the best CMS platform suited for your specific business needs.