A vital part of any SEO strategy, link building is the process of acquiring new inbound links to a website from external sources. Link building has been an integral part of search engine optimization since its inception, and with the release of Google’s Penguin algorithm update in 2012, it has become more important than ever for SEOs to focus on quality link acquisition.
In 2022, link building will continue to be an important ranking factor for search engines. With the release of new algorithms and updates, link building will become even more complex and challenging. While the basic premise of link building has remained the same over the years, the strategies and tactics used to acquire links have changed drastically. In this guide, we’ll take a look at what link building is, why it’s important, and some of the best techniques to use in 2022.
What Exactly Is Link Building?
Link building is the detailed process of acquiring links from several other websites to your own. Links are an important ranking factor for search engines, and links from high-quality websites can help to improve your search engine rankings. Link building can be a complex and difficult process, but it’s important to understand the basics before you start.
Common link building strategies include content marketing, guest blogging, and link bait. These strategies can be effective, but they’re also time-consuming and difficult to scale. In recent years, Google has made it clear that they prefer natural links over artificially created ones. More recent link-building strategies include broken link building and public relations, email outreach, and building useful tools.
Why Is Link Building Important?
Source: Stan Ventures
Link building is important because it’s one of the major ranking factors for search engines. Links help search engines to understand the relevancy and authority of your website, and links from high-quality websites can improve your search engine rankings. Link building can also help to increase traffic to your website, as well as provide other SEO benefits.
What Are The Different Types Of Links?
There are different types of links, including:
- Natural links: These occur when other websites link to your website without you having to ask or do anything. They’re usually based on the quality of your content or website.
- Manually created links: These are links that you create yourself, such as through directory submissions, guest blogging, or link baiting.
- Reciprocal links: These are links that are exchanged between two websites. They can be beneficial if they’re between two high-quality websites in the same niche.
What are the key elements to evaluate link prospects?
The following elements should be considered when reviewing websites for link building:
The site should be relevant to your niche or industry. The main aim of backlink building is to prompt your target audience to visit your website. If the website you’re targeting is not relevant to your niche, there’s a very slim chance that your target audience will be visiting your site.
For example, if you have a website about pet care, it wouldn’t make much sense to get a backlink from a site about car parts.
Authority of the page and Website
The website’s authority is determined by its age, the quality of its content, and the number of other websites linking to it. The page you’re targeting for a backlink should also be authoritative. A particular web page possessing the maximum number of links redirecting to it inevitably secures the highest page authority within a website.
Authority is of two types; page authority and website authority.
- Page authority: For a page to gain more value, SEOs prefer to gain link placements in a webpage with higher authority. Although Google doesn’t share PageRank information publicly, it still forms the basis for its algorithm.
- Website Authority: In general, a link from a site Backlinko will have a bigger impact than a link from a no-name blogger. These are harder to ge but have a greater impact
The PageRank of the site’s home page and the page linking to you is a good indicator of the quality of the link. A higher PageRank is better. Several factors that influence this include :
- The number of inbound links to the linking page.
- The PageRank of the inbound links to the linking page.
- Whether or not the link is followed (i.e., if it has a rel=”nofollow” attribute).
- If you’re looking for high-quality links, aim for websites with a high PageRank.
The anchor text is the text that is used to link to your site. It should be relevant to your site’s content and keywords.
For example, if you’re a plumber, you would want your site to be linked with the anchor text “plumbing services.” This tells Google that your site is about plumbing and will help it rank your site higher for relevant keywords.
Link’s position on the page:
The position of the link on the page is also important. Google gives more weight to links that are higher up on the page. One that is in the footers or sidebars is not worth as much as those found in the middle of the content. The relevance here is that Google assumes that if a website is linking to you, they must think you’re important.
An editorial link is a link that has been naturally placed because someone wanted to link you, and not because you created a random link on a site and dropped a link. These are the most powerful links you can get, but they’re also the hardest to get. However, these are definite indicators of premium quality and Google definitely ranks highly in that respect.
Types of links:
Do-Follow vs. No-Follow:
Do-Follow links are links that pass on “link juice” to your site. This means that they help your site’s SEO and can improve your search engine rankings.
No-Follow links, on the other hand, do not pass on link juice. They are often used by spammers and are not as valuable for your site’s SEO.
To get the most SEO benefit from your links, you want to focus on getting Do-Follow links from high-quality websites. To get the best out of these links, make sure that your website is also high-quality and informative.
The Ratio of Total Number of Pages to Traffic Volume:
The total number of pages on a website can give you an indication of the quality of the site. The more pages there are, the more likely it is that the site is high-quality and informative.
A good rule of thumb is to look for a site with a ratio of at least 1:100 (one page for every one hundred visitors). This means that for every 100 visitors to the site, there is at least one page of content.
The higher the ratio, the better. Sites with a lower ratio are likely to be lower quality and may not be as valuable for link building.
Metric vs. Quality:
When it comes to link building, there are two main types of links: metric-based links and quality-based links.
Metric-based links are links that are based on a metric, such as the number of visitors or the PageRank of a website. Quality-based links are based on the quality of the website, such as the content or the design. The best links are quality-based links because they are more likely to be from high-quality websites. However, it can be difficult to get quality-based links, so you may need to focus on metric-based links first.
How do you build quality links:
There are several link building methods to increase the authority of both, your website as well as the webpages. Here are some ways to do so:
Publish High-Quality Content:
One way to make your site more authoritative is to publish high-quality content that will encourage other websites to link to it. This could be in the form of blog posts, infographics, videos, or even whitepapers and e-books. If you consistently produce helpful, informative content, other website owners will eventually take notice and want to link to it.
Now it is easy to say high-quality content. However, how do we quantify it in relation to link building? The key is to share noteworthy content. Here is how you do that:
Use infographics and other visual assets:
Infographics are a highly shareable form of content that can earn links from other websites. People are more likely to share and link to an infographic because it is easy to consume and understand. Not to mention, infographics can be extremely helpful in breaking down complex topics.
If you want your infographic to be successful, make sure that it is well-designed, informative, and easy to share. You can also submit your infographic to infographic directories and promote it on social media to earn links. Visual assets also include Images, diagrams, and charts.
Another popular form of content is video. Similar to infographics, people are more likely to watch and share a video than read a long article. You can embed videos on your website or blog and promote them on social media. You can also submit your videos to video directories and create a YouTube channel to host all your videos in one place.
Podcasts are another great form of content that is becoming more and more popular. People often listen to podcasts while commuting or doing other activities where they can’t read or watch videos. You can submit your podcast to directories and promote it on social media and your website.
Curate industry stats:
When you’re writing an article or creating a infographic, it can be helpful to include industry statistics to back up your claims. This is especially true if you’re writing about a new trend or technology. You can find industry statistics on websites like Statista and eMarketer.
Brands and people often link back to research studies, survey reports, and listicles, which curate industry-relevant statistics, trends, and predictions, and often quote their findings in blog posts, social media, and other forms of content.
People love list posts. They’re easy to read, usually contain a lot of helpful information, and are often packed with industry stats and tips. You can find listicle ideas by searching Google for “X number of ways to do Y” or “X things you need to know about Y.”
The main advantage of list posts is that they pack value into bite-sized chunks that are easy to swallow.
Create in-depth guides and listicles:
If you want to go the extra mile, create an in-depth guide or listicle. These are comprehensive posts that cover everything someone needs to know about a certain topic.
In-depth guides and listicles are great link building opportunities because they’re typically packed with so much valuable information that other websites are happy to link to them.
To find in-depth guide and listicle ideas, try searching Google for “X ultimate guide” or “X definitive guide.”
Here are a few examples of in-depth guides and listicles:
- The Ultimate Guide to Link Building by Backlinko
- The Definitive Guide to SEO in 2021 by Moz
- The Advanced Guide to Content Marketing by Neil Patel
When creating an in-depth guide or listicle, make sure to include plenty of images, infographics, and videos to break up the text and make your post more visually appealing. Doing so will not only make your post more enjoyable to read, but it will also help it rank higher in Google’s search results.
How-to posts are another great type of content to create if you want to attract backlinks. These types of posts provide readers with step-by-step instructions on how to do something, such as how to change a tire or how to make a perfect scrambled egg.
If you want your how-to post to be successful, it’s important to make sure that it’s comprehensive and easy to follow. You should also include plenty of images, diagrams, and videos to help readers understand the instructions. Finally, be sure to link out to other high-quality resources that readers can use to learn more.
Original research and data:
One of the best ways to attract backlinks is to publish original research and data. This could include surveys, infographics, data visualizations, and more.
When creating original research, it’s important to focus on topics that are interesting and relevant to your audience. You should also make sure that your research is backed up by reliable data.
If you can create truly original and insightful research, it’s likely that other websites will want to link to it. This is because your research provides value to their readers and helps to improve the overall quality of their website.
To increase the chances of your research being featured on other websites, be sure to promote it through your social media channels and email list. You can also reach out to relevant websites and bloggers to let them know about your research.
Get Listed in niche Directories:
Another way to help build your site’s authority is to get listed in niche-related directories. This can help give your site a boost in search engine rankings as well as increase the number of inbound links. Make sure to only list your website in relevant, high-quality directories to avoid any potential penalties from search engines.
Now, these are white hat link building where you should list your business in high-authority directories to improve search visibility, gain backlinks, and get higher rankings.
Do Guest Blogging:
Guest blogging is when you write articles for other people’s blogs in exchange for a link back to your website. This is a great way to get high-quality links from websites that are related to your industry or niche. If you want to acquire high-quality backlinks, higher search rankings, increased organic search and referral traffic, and more qualified leads, you should:
- Choose guest posting sites selectively: Make sure you only guest post on high-quality websites that are related to your industry.
- Pick topics that are relevant to the audience of the website: Write about topics that will be interesting and relevant to the audience of the website you’re guest posting on. Include one or two links back to your website in your guest post so readers can learn more about your business.
Another important feature here is editorial links. There are a few ways to get editorial links:
- The first way is by writing great content that people will want to link to. This could be in the form of an article, blog post, or even just a social media update.
- The second way is by reaching out to influencers and other websites in your niche and asking them to link to your content. This can be done by sending them an email, tweeting at them, or even just leaving a comment on their blog.
- The third way is by creating something that is so valuable or unique that people will want to link to it without you even having to ask. This could be an infographic, an eBook, or a piece of software.
However, your guest posts might be considered spammy if:
- The website is unrelated to your niche
- You pay the publisher to post yopur link
- The post contains exact match anchor text to link back to a page on your website
One of the best ways to get links in 2022 is by using social media. This can be done by sharing your content on various platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. You can also reach out to influencers on these platforms and ask them to share your content with their followers. Another great way to get links is by participating in online communities and forums related to your industry. You can provide valuable insights and resources that other members will find helpful, and in return, they may link to your website.
Email outreach is another effective way to build links in 2022. This involves reaching out to bloggers, website owners, and other industry professionals to let them know about your content and why they should link to it. It’s important to make sure that your email is personalized and relevant, otherwise, it will likely be ignored. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Find likely linkers: Use Google and other search engines to find websites that are relevant to your industry and that may be interested in linking to your content. Use Google and other search engines to find websites that are relevant to your industry and that may be interested in linking to your content.
- Research their needs: Take some time to research the needs of potential linkers. What kind of content are they looking for? How can you proceed to provide value to them?
- Reach out: Once you’ve identified potential linkers and understand their needs, reach out to them with a personalized email or message.
- Be persistent: Don’t give up if you don’t hear back right away.
Black Hat link building:
This is a technique that should be avoided as it can get you penalized by Google. It involves creating links from low-quality or spammy websites.
- Link baiting: This is the process of creating content that is so compelling that people will want to link to it.
- Guest posting: This is when you write for another website in your industry with the goal of getting a link back to your website.
- Broken link building: This is when you find broken links on websites and then reach out to the website owner to let them know and offer your own content as a replacement.
- Resource page link building: This is when you find resource pages in your industry and reach out to have your own content added as a resource.
- Infographic link building: This is when you create an infographic and then reach out to other websites in your industry to see if they would like to share it on their website.
Resource Page Link Building:
This is a tactic where you identify resource pages within your industry that are relevant to your business. You then reach out to the website owner and request to be included on their resource page. If your website is high-quality and relevant, there is a good chance that the website owner will agree to your request and include a link to your website on their resource page.
- One of the benefits of this tactic is that it can help you to get high-quality backlinks from authority websites. This, in turn, can have a positive impact on your website’s search engine rankings.
- Another benefit is that it can help to increase the traffic to your website. This is because when people visit the resource page and see your link, they may click on it and be taken to your website.
To find relevant websites that you can contact, you can use a tool like Google Search Console. This is a free tool offered by Google that allows you to see which websites are linking to your website. You can also use a tool like BuzzSumo to find popular content in your niche. Once you’ve found a piece of content that is doing well, you can reach out to the website owner and ask them to link to your website.
When you contact someone and ask them to link to your website, it’s important to be polite and professional. You can start by complimenting their website and then explain how a link to your website would be beneficial for their readers. It’s also a good idea to include your website’s URL so they can easily see what you have to offer.
Note: Make sure your pitch or script is as personalized as possible. This will give you a better chance to make an impression,
Broken Link Building:
This strategy involves finding websites that have broken links and then contacting the website owner to let them know. You can use a tool like Broken Link Checker to find broken links on websites. Once you’ve found a few, you can reach out to the website owner and let them know about the broken links. You can also suggest that they replace the broken links with links to your website.
A good example is if you find a blog that has a broken link to an article about your industry. You can reach out to the blog owner and let them know about the broken link. You can also suggest that they replace the broken link with a link to your website.
This is a great way to get high-quality backlinks because you’re providing value to the website owner by letting them know about a broken link. You’re also helping them out by suggesting a replacement link.
What Are The Benefits Of Link Building?
There are many benefits of link building, including:
- Improved search engine rankings: One of the main benefits of link building is that it can help improve your website’s search engine rankings. This is because links are one of the main ranking factors used by Google and other search engines.
- More traffic: Link building can also lead to more traffic to your website. This is because as your website’s search engine rankings improve, more people will see your website in the search results and click on it.
- Improved brand awareness: Link building can also help improve brand awareness for your website. This is because when other websites link to your website, it helps to increase its visibility and exposure online.
- Improved credibility: Link building can also help to improve the credibility of your website. This is because when other websites link to your website, it shows that they trust your website and believe that it is a reliable source of information.
There are many benefits of link building, but these are just some of the most important ones.
Tools used in link building:
There are many different tools that you can use for link building. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Google Search Console: This is a free tool provided by Google that allows you to submit your website to their search engine and track its performance.
- Bing Webmaster Tools: This is a free tool provided by Bing that allows you to submit your website to their search engine and track its performance.
- Ahrefs: This is a paid link building tool that provides a lot of features, such as link analysis and tracking, keyword research, and more.
- 4.SEMrush: SEMrush has been used for a long time in the SEO industry. It is a complete platform that provides many features such as keyword research, competitor analysis, backlink analysis, and more.
Link building is an important part of any SEO strategy and will continue to be so in 2022. With the ever-changing landscape of search engine algorithms, it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest link building strategies and tactics. In this guide, we’ve provided an overview of what link building is, why it’s important, and some of the best techniques to use in 2022. We hope you found this guide helpful and that it gives you a better understanding of how to approach link building in the coming year.
There are numerous companies that specialize in link building and can help you get started with your own strategy. If you’re looking for someone to handle your link building for you, look no further than our talented team at Pixel Street. We offer a variety of services that can help you get the most out of your link building efforts.