Are you wondering how to rank on the first page of Google? Well, you’re not alone. In fact, this is really one of the most commonly asked questions. And it’s no wonder – according to data from Advanced Web Rankings, the top result on Google receives 33% of the traffic for a given search.
So, if you want to get more traffic to your website, it’s essential that you figure out how to get onto that first page. And luckily, we can help you do just that. In this article, we’ll share with you our complete guide on how to rank on the first page of Google fast in 2022.
Why is it important to rank higher on Google?
Before we dive into the guide, let’s first answer the question – why is it so important to rank higher on Google?
Well, as we just mentioned, the top result on Google gets 33% of the traffic for a given search. But what about the other 67%, you might ask?
The second result gets 18% of the traffic and the third result gets 11%. From there, traffic drops off significantly. The fourth result only gets 2.5% of the traffic and after that, each result gets less than 2%.
So, as you can see, if you want to get more traffic to your website, it’s essential that you figure out how to rank higher on Google.
Step 1: Improve your on-page SEO
This includes many different aspects including keywords, content, page speed, etc. All these factors influence the performance of your on-page SEO efforts.
Keyword research and usage:
One way to improve your on-page SEO is by carefully selecting the right keywords. The goal is to select keywords that are relevant to your business, have a decent amount of monthly searches, and aren’t too competitive.
To get started with keyword research, you can use tools like Google AdWords Keyword Planner, KWFinder, and Ubersuggest. Once this is done, it is important to use these keywords efficiently throughout your page and to let Google know the keywords you’re using in a way that it understands. This means that your keywords should be used and positioned through its organized index to ensure that Google can scan, index, and retrieve your site. To do this, your keyword must be placed in the following places:
- Meta title: This is the title of your page that appears in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Meta description: This is the short description of your page that appears below your meta title in the SERPs.
- Meta tags: Meta tags are pieces of code that help Google understand what your page is about. They are not visible to users, but they are read by search engine bots. The two most crucial meta tags for SEO are: title tag and the meta description tag.
- Heading tags (H1, H2, etc.): Heading tags are used to structure and organize your content. Your primary keyword should be included in your H1 tag, while your secondary keywords can be included in your H2 and H3 tags.
- Title tags: Title tags are used to provide a brief description of your page. Your keywords should be included in your title tags to help Google understand what your page is about.
- Alt tags: Alt tags are used to provide a text description of your images. including your keywords in your alt tags can help Google understand what your page is about.
- URL: Your URL should be short, descriptive, and include your keywords.
It is important here to note that it is beneficial to add LSI keywords to your page, apart from the general keywords that you add for the overall optimization of the page. LSI keywords are those that are related to your primary keyword, and adding them to your content helps Google understand the context of your page better. For example, if you are optimizing a page for the keyword “SEO”, some LSI keywords that you can include would be “search engine optimization”, “Google ranking”, “SEO tips”, etc.
The content on your page should be high-quality, original, and informative. It should really also be somewhat relevant to the keywords that you are presently targeting. Remember to add LSI keywords here as well, to help Google understand the context of your content better. The following are a few guidelines for content to improve your ranking:
- Get rid of thin content: If you have a page with only a few hundred words of content, it is likely that your content is too thin. This will not give Google enough information about your page to determine its relevance, and as a result, it will not rank well.
- Add new content regularly: One of the best ways to keep your pages relevant and improve your ranking is to add new content regularly. This shows Google that your site is active and relevant, and as a result, it will be more likely to rank higher.
- Make sure your content is relevant and audience-centered: In order for your content to rank well, it needs to be relevant to the keywords you are targeting. If you are targeting the keyword “dog food”, then your content should be about dog food. It should also be focused on your target audience. If you are targeting dog owners, then your content should be focused on them and their needs.
- Use keyword-rich titles and meta descriptions: Your title and meta description are two of the most important elements of your page when it comes to ranking on Google. Make sure your title includes the keyword you are targeting, and make sure your meta description is interesting and relevant.
- Large content: Google loves content. The more content you have on your page, the better. But make sure that your content is relevant and of high quality. Ideally, your content should be at least 1800 words.
Step 2: Match content to search intent
It is important to match content to search intent. If you want to rank for a keyword, make sure that your content is actually about that keyword. There are four different types of search intent:
- Navigational: The user is looking for a specific website. For example, if someone types in “Facebook”, they are looking for the Facebook website.
- Informational: The user is looking for information on a topic. For example, if someone types in “how to bake a cake”, they are looking for information on how to bake a cake.
- Transactional: The user is looking to buy something. For example, if someone types in “buy shoes”, they are looking to buy shoes.
- Commercial Investigation: The user is comparing different products or brands before making a purchase. For example, if someone types in “Sony vs. Samsung TV”, they are trying to decide which brand of TV to buy.
To rank on page 1 of Google, your content needs to be high-quality and relevant to what people are searching for.
There are a number of factors that go into determining whether or not your content is high-quality, including:
- The level of detail in your content: The more detail your content has, the better. Google wants to provide its users with content that is as comprehensive as possible.
- The accuracy of your information: Your content must be accurate and up-to-date. If it’s not, you will lose credibility with both Google and your readers.
- The amount of research you’ve done: Google loves content that is well-researched. The more research you’ve done, the more likely it is that your content will be high-quality.
- The uniqueness of your perspective: Google loves content that is unique and offers a new perspective. If you can offer something that other people haven’t, you’re more likely to rank high in the search results.
- The level of engagement your content receives: Google looks at things like the time people spend on your website, the number of social media shares, and the number of comments to determine how engaging your content is. The more engagement your content receives, the higher it will rank.
- The formatting of your content: Google loves content that is easy to read and understand. Content that is well-formatted with headlines, subheadings, and bullet points will rank higher than content that is difficult to read.
- The length of your content: Generally speaking, the longer your content is, the higher it will rank. This is because longer content tends to be more comprehensive and covers all the bases. That said, you don’t want to write for the sake of writing. Your goal should be to write comprehensive, high-quality content that is engaging and informative.
- The topic of your content: Google will rank content higher if it is relevant to the searcher’s query. For example, if someone searches for “how to start a blog,” Google will rank articles about starting a blog higher than articles about, say, knitting.
- The structure of your content: Google likes well-structured articles. This means that you use subheadings, headlines, and bullet points to really break up your text and make it really easy to read.
Step 3: Monitor your technical SEO
Monitor your technical SEO to make sure your website is easy for Google to crawl and index. A few things you can do to improve your technical SEO include:
- Optimizing your title tags and meta descriptions: Make sure your title tags and meta descriptions are clear, concise, and keyword-rich.
- Using keyword-rich URLs: Use keywords in your URLs to help Google understand what your page is about.
- Increasing your website’s speed: Google favors fast-loading websites. Use Google’s PageSpeed Insights tool to test your website’s speed and get recommendations for improving it.Improving your website’s structure: Use a logical, easy-to-follow navigation structure. This will help Google understand your website and find the pages that are most
- Improving the usability of your website: Google wants to send users to websites that are easy to use. Follow best practices for designing a user-friendly website.
- Creating an XML sitemap: An XML sitemap is a list of all the pages on your website. It helps Google index your website and makes it easier for Google to crawl your site.
- Submitting your website to Google Search Console: Google Search Console is a free tool that helps you monitor your website’s performance in Google search results.
Page speed is a ranking factor on Google. Pages that load faster tend to rank higher than pages that take longer to load. There are a number of things you can do to improve your page speed, including optimizing your images, using a caching plugin, and minifying your code. A few ways to improve your page speed include:
- Utilize an excellent web hosting service provider: This is the first and most important thing you can do to improve your website speed. Your hosting company will determine how fast or slow your website loads.
- CDN (Content Delivery Network): Utilize a content delivery network to serve your website’s static content from multiple locations around the world. This will help reduce the distance between your visitors and your server, which can improve page load times.
- Implement AMP: Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages project is an open-source initiative that allows you to create lightweight versions of your pages for mobile devices. These pages load much faster on mobile devices and can improve your search ranking as a result.
With over 60% of searches now being done on mobile devices, it’s more important than ever to have a mobile-friendly website. Google has a “Mobile-Friendly” test that you can use to see if your site is mobile-friendly. If it isn’t, there are a number of things you can do to make it more mobile-friendly.
Take time to check core web vitals and PageSpeed insights score: These metrics measure the speed and usability of your site on both mobile and desktop devices. A high score means that your pages are loading quickly and effectively, which is important for both search engine ranking and user experience.
Step 4: Reduce your bounce rate:
Your “bounce rate” is the express percentage of people who really visit your site and then proceed to leave without clicking on anything. A greater bounce rate can really hurt your search ranking. There are really a number of things that you can do to reduce your bounce rate. This includes:
- Make sure your pages are relevant to what people are searching for
- Use catchy titles and descriptions
- Have a really clear and easy-to-use navigation
- Use images and videos providing fresh and original content
- Make absolutely sure that your site is fast and responsive
Step 5: Build links to your website
Link building is one of the most effective ways to improve your SEO. In general, the greater the quantity of high-quality links that you have pointing to your website, the correspondingly higher your site will rank in Google search results.
There are a number of ways to build links to your website, but the best way is to focus on creating high-quality content that other people will want to link to.
One of the most effective ways to do this is to create an infographic or a listicle (a list of things) and then reach out to other websites in your niche and offer to let them publish it on their site in exchange for a link back to your website.
Another great way to build links is to guest post on other websites in your niche. When you do guest posting, make absolutely sure to include a link back to your website in your author bio.
3 ways to earn backlinks
- Outreach: The process of contacting other website owners in your niche and asking them to link to your website Content: Creating high-quality content that other people will want to link to.
- Guest posting: Writing articles for other websites in your niche and including a link back to your website in your author bio if you want to rank on page one of Google, you need to focus on building links. The greater the number of high-quality links you have connecting back to your website, the correspondingly higher your site will rank in the search engine results pages (SERPs). To build links effectively, you need to create content that other people will want to link to.
- Social Media: Posting your content on social media sites and including links back to your website.
Step 5: Track and Monitor Results:
The final step is to track and monitor your results. Utilize Google Analytics to really track the traffic coming on to your website. Look at your organic traffic and your conversion rate to see if you are getting more visitors and if those visitors are taking the actions you want them to take on your website
If you follow these steps, you will be well on your way to ranking on the first page of Google. Just remember to be patient, as it can take some time for your efforts to pay off.
Tips to improve rankings:
Boost your click-through rate:
The click-through rate (CTR) is the percentage of people who click on your listing in the search results. A higher CTR means more people are interested in what you have to say, which can lead to higher rankings
Make sure your title tags and meta descriptions are compelling: Your title tag and meta description are what show up in the search results, so make sure they are compelling enough to really make people want to thoroughly click through to your website.
- Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions:
- Use alt tags on your images:
Use Internal links:
Linking to other pages on your website helps Google understand the structure of your website and how your pages are related to each other. This can help them rank higher in the search results.
Use external links:
Linking to other websites helps Google understand what your website is about and how it relates to the rest of the web. This can help them rank higher in the search results.
Use social media:
Social media signals (like likes, shares, and comments) can help Google understand what people think of your website. This can help them rank higher in the search results.
Use consistent high-quality content:
Google actually wants to show people the best and most accurate possible results. That means they’re more likely to rank websites with high-quality, consistent content higher in the search results.
Google’s algorithm is constantly changing, which means that there is no one single magic formula for ranking on page 1 of the search results. However, by following the tips and advice in this guide, you can give your website the best possible chance of appearing on page 1 of the Google search results.
There are many organizations that provide complete SEO packages to help you get started. You can also hire an agency or a consultant to help you with specific tasks or areas of your SEO strategy. At Pixel Street, we are an SEO Agency that helps businesses increase their visibility and ranking on Google and we would be happy to help you with your website’s SEO. Contact us today for a consultation!